Thursday 26 June 2014

Chocolate & Mint Aero Bubble cupcakes

So it’s my friend’s birthday soon and she loves Mint Aero Bubbles. I had originally planned to make her some of these to give to her on her birthday but I got much too excited and made them straight away.


They are chocolate cupcakes with surprise Mint Aero Bubbles inside, decorated with chocolate fudge and mint buttercream icing.

I just used a basic chocolate cupcake recipe for the cake part because I didn’t want it to be too overpowering along with the majorly rich topping and minty pieces inside. I used measurements for 12, but I wanted mine to be double the size of a normal cupcake. I guess they were almost more like muffins?!

If you wanted to make these, here is how I made mine


What you will need

For the cakes:
115g butter
115g caster sugar
115g self raising flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Mint Aero Bubbles, frozen

For the icing:
70g butter, softened
140g icing sugar
Green food colouring
Peppermint extract
Betty Crocker’s Chocolate Fudge Icing

After preheating your oven to 180°C, make sure your butter is at room temperature and beat together with the sugar until fluffy. Then add the eggs one at a time.

Blend the flour and cocoa powder together and then fold this into the mixture gradually until it is creamy and spoonable. If you think it’s too thick, just add a couple of drops of milk.

Share about of the mix between your cake cases evenly. Then, add a few of the Aero Bubbles and cover them over with the remainder of the mixture. (I used frozen Bubbles so they would still be almost whole once the cakes had been cooked. If not, they would melt. It’s important to cover them up so that the chocolate doesn’t burn in the oven.)


If your cupcakes are the size of muffins too, bake them for about 18-20 minutes until risen and spongy. The Bubbles are obviously less dense than the mixture and full of air, so they shouldn’t sink. (Some of mine actually rose, so they were nicely distributed throughout.)



While the cakes are cooling, make the buttercream by whisking the butter and icing sugar together until thick. Then, fold in a few drops of the mint flavouring and green food colouring until you’re happy with the colour and taste. You could add a little bit of milk here too, if you think your buttercream mixture is too dense.


If using a piping bag, push some of the mint buttercream down to the end and do the same with the Chocolate Fudge Icing so that both will come out at the same time. You could quite easily make some chocolate buttercream by just adding some cocoa or melted chocolate instead of the mint flavouring, but this Betty Crocker one is my favourite type in the world so I wanted to specifically use this one! You could always spoon the icing onto the cakes by hand, too. Wait until the cupcakes are completely cool before decorating with the icing and a few more Aero Bubbles and enjoy!


I know some people think chocolate and mint is a bit of a funny combo, but I think the light sponge and rich creamy topping work really well together (and my friend did, too!).

I was really tempted to make these into little frogs when I’d finished. Can anyone else see the resemblance?!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment